Teaching Special Education Licensure

Teaching Licensure - Education; Track: Teaching Special Education

Phyllis J. Washington College of Education and Human Sciences

Degree Specific Credits: 34

Required Cumulative GPA: 3.0

Catalog Year: 2018-2019

Note: This program of study can only be completed as a teaching minor for those pursuing a teaching major in another content area or by currently licensed teachers. Students must be formally admitted to the Teacher Education Program and complete all of the professional education licensure requirements. See the Department of Curriculum & Instruction in the College of Education and Human Sciences for more information.


Early Childhood Special Education3
Special Education Requirements21
Special Education Student Teaching10
Total Hours34

Early Childhood Special Education

Complete one of the following courses:
EDSP 401Intro Early Intervention3
or EDSP 403 Curric/Mthds Early Spec Educ
Total Hours3

Minimum Required Grade: B

Special Education Requirements

Complete all of the following course:
EDSP 405Assess of Students with Excep3
EDSP 426Intro Transition & Community3
EDSP 454Adv Academic Interventions3
EDSP 456Intro Mthds Low Incidence Dis3
EDSP 461Positive Behavior Supports3
EDSP 462Spec Ed Law, Policy, Practice3
EDU 438Ltrcy Asmnt, Diagnosis & Instr3
Total Hours21

Minimum Required Grade: B

Special Education Student Teaching

Note: All special education coursework must be completed prior to the special education student teaching experience. An application is required to determine special education student teaching eligibility. See Teacher Education Services or the Office of Field Experiences for deadlines.

Complete the following course:
EDSP 495Student Teaching: Special Educ10
Total Hours10

Minimum Required Grade: B

This is an advising track only and not an official program as recognized by the University of Montana (UM) or the Montana University System. This information will not appear on your UM transcript, diploma, university lists, student data system, or university publication. You do not fill out a major change for a track.