John Matt, Chair
The Educational Leadership knowledge base emphasizes the realities of the workplace, blending practical tasks with the conceptual models of effective leadership. The model uses leadership assessment and problem-based learning throughout nine curricular strands:
- research community,
- assessment/program evaluation,
- curriculum, and
Students at both degree levels experience integrated coursework, performance-based assessment, and exit interviews on completion of the degree programs.
The M.Ed., Ed.S., Principal Leadership Certificate, Superintendent Leadership Certificate, and Ed.D. are offered, along with an M.Ed. and Ph.D. in International Educational Leadership. Information regarding specific requirements and program options is available from the Phyllis J. Washington College of Education website. The M.Ed. and graduate certificate programs are accredited by The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and The Montana Board of Public Education (BPE).
Admission to Educational Leadership
The Program Admissions Committee has established policies and standards for admission which include:
- the GRE, verbal and quantitative (required for doctoral admissions but not master's or certificate level admissions);
- two letters of recommendation (one from an immediate supervisor);
- official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate coursework;
- cover letter, resume, and a departmental application;
- an essay (not required for certificate admissions);
- qualifying examination; and
- interviews (doctoral).
Contact the Department for details.
Educational Leadership Master's Degree, Principal Leadership, and Superintendent Leadership certificates lead to a Montana Class 3 Administrative Licensure with either a K-12 Principal or a K-12 Superintendent endorsement. Please note that in addition to the coursework and degree requirements, the State of Montana also requires licensed teaching experience for the principal endorsement and licensed administrative experience for the superintendent endorsement.