Parks, Tourism and Recreation Management M.S.
Master of Science - Parks, Tourism, and Recreation Management
W.A. Franke College of Forestry and Conservation
Catalog Year: 2022-23
Degree Specific Credits: 30
Required Cumulative GPA: 3.0
The specific courses (program of study) that a graduate student enrolls in will be tailored to each individual, based on their academic background, professional interest, and the focus of their thesis work. However, the minimum requirements for the M.S. Degree include:
- Thesis or Professional Paper Options.
- 30 graduate semester credits beyond the Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 20 of the total credits must be taken within the major discipline.
- At least 20 of the total credits must be in coursework and at least half of the coursework credits (minimum 10 credits) must be at the 500 level or above. Courses below the 400 level do not count towards the M.S. course requirements.
- Up to 10 of the 30 credits may be taken as research (699) and/or thesis (697).
- Enroll in one credit of graduate seminar per year. (Requirement may be waived by faculty advisor in favor of a different course/seminar if there is a time conflict.)
- Complete a research methods course related to their field of study, and at least one course in graduate level statistics (or comparable analytical course) at the university.
In addition to these specific requirements, a list of required/suggested coursework must be approved by the committee no later than the second semester in residence, but earlier if possible. Other suitable courses (e.g., emphasizing analytical skills) can be substituted at the discretion of the student’s committee.