University of Montana Catalog 2023-2024

Transfer Student Admission

Academic Eligibility

Undergraduate degree applicants who have graduated from high school or have earned a HiSET or GED and have attempted twelve or more college level credits must meet the academic eligibility requirements described here. Any undergraduate degree transfer applicant who has attempted fewer than twelve college level credits must meet the academic eligibility requirements for freshman mentioned in the freshman admission section.

Applicants must present a 2.00 (C) cumulative grade average (on a 0-4 scale) for all college level work attempted to be eligible for admission.

How to Apply

Applications for admission are available on the University Admissions Transfer web page.

Receipt of the following credentials in Enrollment Services-Admissions constitutes a complete application for admission:

  1. Application Form. Applications must be complete and signed.
  2. Application Fee. The fee is $30.00. This non-refundable fee is payable once at the undergraduate level provided payment is followed by enrollment. Record of payment will remain on file for one year for students who do not enroll. An application cannot be considered prior to payment of this fee. The University of Montana-Missoula waives the application fee for students who have attended an affiliate campus: Montana Tech, Montana Tech College of Technology, Helena College of Technology, and University of Montana Western.
  3. Official College/University Transcripts. The student must supply a complete official transcript from each regionally accredited college or university attended, and from each college or university attended holding candidate status for regional accreditation. Applications from students who are enrolled at the transfer school while applying to UM will be considered for admission based on current official transcripts showing all academic work completed and posted to date. The final official transcript must be on file before the second registration at UM. Academic eligibility will be reviewed upon receipt of the complete transcript.
  4. Immunization Form. All students are required to submit a completed Medical Requirement Form to the Curry Health Center two weeks prior to registration. It is important that the immunization record be complete and accurate and validated by a health official. Students born after December 31, 1956 must submit proof of immunization or titer against Rubella and measles (Rubeola). Students will not be allowed to register until the Curry Health Center has received proof of immunization.

When to Apply

Applications and all required documents submitted by the following dates will receive priority consideration:

  • March 1 - Autumn semester
  • November 15 - Spring semester

Applications received after the priority dates are considered on a space-available basis.

General Education for Transfer Students

Students transferring credits from other institutions must meet all requirements by transfer, by examination, or by completing courses at the University of Montana-Missoula.

UM accepts Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS) Degrees from US colleges and universities accredited by regional accrediting agencies recognized by the US Department of Education. AA and AS Degrees from other institutions will be reviewed on an individual basis. A completed AA or AS degree satisfies UM s lower-division General Education requirements; students must still complete the advanced writing course and are encouraged to explore lower-division language courses to enhance their major. Since Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degrees focus on technical skills, the degree does not necessarily satisfy all lower-division General Education requirements at UM.

According to Board of Regents policy, students who can demonstrate that they have completed an approved lower-division general education requirement at an approved Montana institution of higher education will be deemed to have completed general education requirements except for the advanced writing requirements in their majors.

Montana University System transfer students who have completed the lower-division course work in an approved general education program prior to admission should request that the Registrar of the other school certify completion of these requirements to the Admissions Office.

Students who have earned 20 or more credits equivalent to the approved Montana University System Transfer Core (see MUS Transfer core website) as a degree-seeking student at another institution prior to their initial registration at UM-Missoula may choose to complete the MUS Transferable General Education Curriculum to satisfy all UM lower division General Education requirements. Students will still have to complete UM's advanced writing requirement.

In order to determine if transfer course work satisfies UM General Education requirements, the credits for each course are rounded. For example, courses from schools on other calendars (such as quarters or trimesters) that are articulated on UM transcripts at 2.5 credits or higher will be rounded to 3 credits for the purpose of fulfilling, or partially fulfilling, General Education requirement groups I-XI. This rounding rule does not apply when calculating students total completed credits for graduation requirements, nor towards the 39 upper-division credit requirement.

Students who have completed a bachelor degree at the University or elsewhere will be presumed to have completed the General Education Requirement.

The Office of Admissions will evaluate all transfer credits for General Education credit. Students who wish to appeal that evaluation may petition the Graduation Appeals Subcommittee of the Academic Standards and Curriculum Review Committee, but such petitions must be initiated during the first semester of the student's attendance following that evaluation.

Writing Course Requirement Regarding Transfer Students

The Admissions Office (406-243-6266) evaluates transcripts for course equivalencies, with the exception of UM’s approved writing courses.

This information pertains only to the intermediate writing course, not the departmental advanced writing requirement. Students should speak to their major department regarding any issues relating to the advanced writing requirement.

If a student believes a course taken at another institution meets the intermediate writing course requirement, the student may petition for course exemption through the Writing Committee. The student must provide the materials listed below. Materials should be submitted to Camie Foos in the Faculty Senate Office, UH 221,, 406-243-5553.

Students within two semesters of graduation must use the Graduation Appeal process in place of the Intermediate Writing Course Exemption Appeal process.

Students applying for course exemption through the Intermediate Writing Course Exemption Appeal process must submit the following materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered.

  1. A cover letter outlining the basis for the request. The cover letter should clearly articulate how the proposed course meets the learning outcomes of Intermediate Writing Courses at the University of Montana (listed below). Include pertinent information such as contact information, student ID number, and how you fulfilled this requirement in a course at your previous institution.
  2. Evidence of a C- or better in the course.
  3. A syllabus and course description, and any available writing assignment instructions. The syllabus or assignment instructions must show that the course required at least 16 pages of writing and that 50% of the course grade was based on writing performance.


  • Student earned a C- or better in the transferred course, and at least 50% of the course grade was based on writing performance 
  • The transferred course goals are similar to Intermediate Writing Course Learning Outcomes:
    • Use writing to learn and synthesize new concepts 
    • Formulate and express written ideas that are developed, logical, and organized 
    • Compose written texts that are appropriate for a given audience, purpose, and context 
    • Revise written work based on comments from the instructor o Find, evaluate, and use information effectively and ethically 
    • Begin to use discipline-specific writing conventions 
    • Demonstrate appropriate English language usage  
    • Produce at least 16 pages of writing

Review Procedure

Petitions are reviewed by the Writing Committee. Students within two semesters of graduation must use the Graduation Appeal process in place of the Intermediate Writing Course Exemption Appeal process.  Notice of the decision is sent to the student’s University of Montana email address.