Master of Music Education
Master of Music Education
College of the Arts and Media
Catalog Year: 2022-23
|Thesis/Project or Non-Thesis/Project Option||4-10|
Degree Specific Credits: 33-39
Required Cumulative GPA: 3.0
- This degree may be completed fully online or blended (i.e. hybrid of both face-to-face and fully online coursework).
- Students may choose to complete a thesis or project, or complete a non-thesis/project option with additional credits required.
- Courses not exclusively offered online can be requested as an online version (e.g. video-conference lessons in Applied Study). Please consult your major advisor.
- Additional Studies in Music and Electives are chosen in consultation with the major advisor and may include a limited number of Music Education Workshops, ordinarily offered during Summer Session. Potential courses: courses from the Creative Pulse program (using MUSE course numbers), MUSI 491, Graduate-level courses from the Phyllis J. Washington College of Education. There may be other possibilities. Please contact your major advisor to discuss potential course choices for these categories.
- Independent Study or Special Topics courses may be substituted for any courses within Applied Study and Music History/Literature with the approval of the major advisor and the faculty member directing the independent study or teaching the special topics course.
- At least 50% of the total program (excluding 3 credits of required ensemble participation) must be graduate (500-600) level.
- A Final Defense is required of all students enrolled in this degree program. The Final Defense meeting can include a discussion of the student’s completed thesis/professional project and/or the student’s coursework. Students should consult their major advisor early in their degree program to begin the discussion of this meeting, including how a committee is formed. This meeting can be completed in-person or via video-conference.
|Complete all of the following courses:|
|MUSI 520||Research in Music||2|
|MUSE 521||Psychology of Music||2|
|MUSE 522||Philosophy of Music||2|
|MUSI 554||Analytical Techniques I||3|
|MUSI 555||Analytical Techniques II||3|
|Complete all of the following applied study courses:|
|MUSI 500||Secondary Perform Area||2|
|or MUSI 551||Major Performance Area|
|MUSI 511||Advanced Conducting||2|
|Complete any music history/literature course 400-level or higher with major advisor approval||3|
|Complete any music course 400-level or higher with major advisor approval||5|
|Thesis/Project or Non-Thesis/Project Option|
|Select one of the following Options:||4-10|
or MUSI 599
Six (6) credits must be music courses. These may be similar to courses that would be appropriate to the “Additional Studies in Music” category above.
The remaining four (4) credits of coursework may serve as additional electives and be in any related field.
Minimum Required Grade: C