Master of Science - Speech Language Pathology
|Course Requirement Credits||32-35|
Degree Specific Credits:
- Thesis Option: 71 total graduate credits (35 graduate program course credits, 30 practicum credits, and a minimum of 6 thesis credits; may require an additional semester).
- Non-thesis Option: 65-68 total graduate credits (32-35 graduate program course credits, 30 practicum credits, and 3 capstone/portfolio project credits).
Required Cumulative GPA: 3.0
- Required Academic Coursework:
- 35 credits of graduate program courses, a majority of which focus on developmental and acquired communication and swallowing disorders.
- Either a graduate thesis (6 credits) or graduate non-thesis portfolio project (3 credits option).
- Some students need to complete multiple undergraduate or Standard IV area requirements (not completed prior to graduate school) such as CSD 450 in order to be eligible for ASHA certification or other Standard IV-A courses.
Required Clinical Education Coursework and Credits
Clinical education coursework includes (See Clinical Education website):
- 30 credits of clinical practicum–includes specialty clinics and direct experiences across multiple settings (see clinical education coursework).
- Working with children and adults with developmental/acquired/swallowing 3 practicum levels that develop clinical skill and competency across multiple sites.
- A minimum of 375 supervised clock hours (25 hours of guided observation must be completed before beginning clinical practicum).
Graduate students have the opportunity to:
- Work closely with ASHA-certified faculty/supervisors.
- Engage in extensive experience and specialized training in various aspects of speech, language, literacy, swallowing, and hearing.
Program Delivery Options
- Follow a traditional classroom structure by attending courses face-to-face on the UM campus:
- Practica are completed every semester throughout the graduate program and begin as a clinical practicum in the University of Montana's RiteCare Speech, Language, and Hearing Clinic their first semester in the graduate program.
- Subsequent off-campus practica (typically after the first two semesters of graduate school) take place in off-campus sites (and can be arranged throughout the state and country).
- Will complete the degree in a minimum of 4 semesters and 1 summer term.
- Part-time options are available.
- Participate synchronously in all academic courses with students on campus via web-broadcasting.
- Begin clinical practicum at the University of Montana's RiteCare Clinic on the University of Montana campus in the summer term following two semesters of academic study.
- Practica continue throughout the remainder of the graduate program in off-campus sites (and can be arranged throughout the state and country).
- Are able to complete the program in a minimum of 4 semesters and 2 summer terms.
|Complete all of the following courses:|
|SLP 520||Articulation & Phonological Disorders||3|
|SLP 530||Voice & Motor Speech Disorders||3|
|SLP 535||Motor Speech Disorders||3|
|SLP 540||Fluency Disorders||2|
|SLP 545||Autism/Complex Communication||2|
|SLP 546||AAC Complex Communication II||1|
|SLP 550||Language Assessment and Intervention for Children Infants through Preschool||3|
|SLP 560||Dx /Tx School-Age Lang||3|
|SLP 565||Aphasia & Acq. Apraxia||3|
|SLP 566||Acquired Cognitive-Communication Disorders||3|
|SLP 570||Clinic Proc/Pro Pract I||1|
|SLP 571||Found Applied Clinic Srv/Lrn||3|
|SLP 575||Advanced Clinic Proc II||1|
|SLP 576||Advanced Applied Clinic II||12|
|SLP 591||Special Topics||1-6|
|SLP 600||Research Methods||3|
|SLP 640||Swallowing Disorders||3|
|SLP 675||Clinical Ext/ Adv Practicum||12|
|SLP 588||Master of Science Capstone Portfolio||3-6|
|or SLP 599||Master of Science Thesis|
Minimum Required Grade: C