Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences Ph.D.
Doctor of Philosophy - Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
College of Health
Catalog Year: 2022-23
Degree Specific Credits: 54
Required Cumulative GPA: 3.0
- The program is made up of a combination of 54 credits of coursework and professional products, the preliminary comprehensive competency exam, and a dissertation.
- Students must pass a preliminary comprehensive competency exam that includes disciplinary knowledge, a critique of a research manuscript, and design of an experimental research study.
- In addition, students complete professional products in areas critical for the success of faculty or professionals in the speech, language, and hearing sciences that include the following:
- (1) research,
- (2) conference presentation,
- (3) writing for publication,
- (4) systematic review of research literature,
- (5) grant writing,
- (6) college teaching, and/or
- (7) supervision.
- Following the successful completion of coursework, the preliminary comprehensive competency exam, and professional products, students complete a directed research dissertation experience that contributes to the advancement of the field of speech, language, and hearing sciences.
- Full-time students entering with their completed masters’ degree in an area related to speech, language, and hearing sciences can complete the PhD in 3-4 years.